I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Thursday, July 10, 2014

(January): Philadelphia!

They wanted a picture with this guy
Independence Hall

The Supreme Court Chamber
The Assembly Room
where both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed
The Rising Sun Chair.  I thought this was interesting:
this is "the actual chair Washington sat in while presiding over the Constitutional Convention in 1787.  At the signing Franklin was optimistic about the document and said that now he had the happiness to know that the carving on the back was a rising, not a setting sun."

Inside the entrance to Independence Hall
The actual inkstand that was used in the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution


Our family at the Liberty Bell
Both girls learned all about symbols of the United States in first grade.  When I mentioned that we would see the Liberty Bell, Elaina exclaimed, "that's one of the symbols of the United States!...but I think it has a crack in it" :(

Benjamin Franklin's grave
We went across the street from Independence Hall to the Constitution Convention Center - a museum all about the constitution and what it's significance is
The kids had fun visiting with these founding fathers

chatting with Benjamin Franklin
Signing the Constitution



Future Ms. President
An original copy of the Constitution
Independence Hall in the background
Philly Cheese steaks at Geno's 

Philadelphia's City Hall.  What a cool building!
Philadelphia Museum of Art. 
It was huge, and had a great collection.  Not to mention, a beautiful building
Running up the stairs, Rocky Balboa-style
I allowed them to burn some energy before dragging them through the art museum with me.  I don't think they understand why we had them run up the stairs and then cheer at the top, but one day they'll see the movies and think it's cool that they did that!
What a supportive family I have, accompanying me through art galleries :) I think they liked it though, and I was nice and didn't stay as long as I could have. I sacrificed seeing the Rodin exhibit, which I would have loved!  So maybe I'll drag them back there again someday! :)
Celebrating with Rocky himself

No comments: