I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What I will miss about Bryan, Texas...

One day (when we still lived in Texas, and were getting ready to move) I started writing this post about the things I'll miss about Bryan.  I came across it as I was getting up to date on the blog and realized I never posted it.  It seems fitting now to post now that I'm caught up to the summer.  Here are some of the things I miss about Bryan...

*HEB.  Never did I think that I could fall so in love with a grocery store, but aside from a farmer's market, I can't think of a happier place to buy my groceries.  And I somehow seem to visit about 3-4 times a week.  The produce section is beautiful, huge, and provides me with lots of fresh, tasty fruits and vegetables.  They carry a huge variety of foods, and even a good selection of ethnic foods.  They have "buddy bucks," which are stickers that the kids can save up to buy prizes.  At one point they even gave the kids balloons when they entered the store.  And the grocery carts have seats for two kids up front!

*Movie Theaters.  Where else in the country can you buy a movie ticket for less than $6 ($3.50 for matinees!)?  And yes, that is the adult ticket price.  That's a cheap date, which makes for a happy Mike! :)

*Aerofit.  I love my gym!  It's a small local gym that's been around for 30+ years.  I usually attend group exercise classes and am generally one of the youngest in the classes.  I've met so many nice ladies - I call them my "old lady friends" even though most of them are between 45-60 - who inspire me.  We compare pregnancy stories (my pregnancy; their daughter's pregnancies) and we talk about our kiddos (my kids; their grandkids).  Working out with ladies that are 30 years older than you sure beats working out college age divas who do their makeup and their hair to go to the gym.  No need to feel self conscious, unless of course the "old ladies" are lifting weights that are heavier than yours, in which case it provides motivation to pick it up a bit.  And the nursery is FANTASTIC!  They don't require a reservation, and they even change diapers!  I've belonged to 3 different gyms, and no nursery changes diapers!  They even love my kids and cuddle them when they're sad.  The gym has a huge ball pit that the kids love.  They actually look forward to going to the gym.  Ahh, how I will miss Aerofit.

*Our friends.  More than anything else, we will miss the people that have become so special to us while we've lived here.  We have such a great group of friends here.  Most of us are in the same stage of life, and we love to go out and do things together.  Spontaneous park dates or play dates, lunch bunch, swimming, girls nights, BBQs at the park, game nights, preschool get togethers, etc.  I have formed lasting friendships with so many people that I love and will miss, but I'm grateful for modern day technology to allow us to continue to keep in touch and be apart of each other's lives.  The girls and Mike and made close friendships too, I'm just not posting them here because, well, men just don't take group pictures together, and most of this blog is devoted to the girls and their friends :)   \

These are some of the wonderful ladies I developed life long friendships with (and through the 5 years we were there, so many others have come and gone, but of course, it only occurred to me to start taking pictures as we were getting ready to leave):

Bunko night at my house
Back row: Erica, Brittany, Meredith, Me, Sandra, Anne, Carrie
Front: Heather, Lacie, Steph, Allison

It was fun to reunite with these girls about a year ago (Amy, Steph, Jamie, and Janine (below)).  We had lots of playgroups and park dates together when I first moved to Texas - while Elaina was an early toddler and Erin was a baby, and then started a preschool together.  Somehow, we survived those years, thanks to the support from each other.


A weekend to Dallas to see Wicked
Me, Darlene, Sara, Melisa

Me, Sara, Sadie, Kristin, Andria, Steph, Lacie

 Mike & Chris, playing a game

*Our ward.  I definitely believe that there are a lot of great wards out there, but Mike and I have really grown and matured in this ward.  We've been in this ward longer than any other ward since we've been married.  We've served with many great people and have been involved with kids, the youth, and the adults.  The kids have had fantastic teachers and wonderful friends.  I have really loved our ward and how close knit the group of people are.
Our fantastic Primary presidency, the day we were released: Allison, Kristin, Me, Jennifer
I am so grateful for dedicated, caring teachers at church who love my children and make them feel special.  The girls have had many teachers throughout the time that we lived in Texas that we loved and built special relationships with.  Elaina's teacher, Sister Teegarden, was really special to Elaina.  I'm so thankful for how thoughtful she was of Elaina when we were getting ready to move.  She took a picture of their primary class and put it in a special frame, and she had all the kids in the class go around and sign their names on the mat surrounding the picture.  She also created a small photo album of their primary class that Elaina could have to remember her special friends.  It was so thoughtful of her, and Elaina will treasure it for a long time! 

*Our home.  Although Mike and I have lived in lots of different places, this is the first home that we've owned.  And I love this house.  I love the neighborhood, the fact that we're right at the end of a cul-de-sac, the huge backyard with lots of trees (even the raking!).

*Our neighbors.  I'm not sure if neighbors are generally this great, or if we just lucked out.  Kim, across the street, brought me a bundle of goodies at the hospital when Isaac was born & watched Millie when we were out of town, Ronnie Lynn sits outside and chats with me while our kids play on the street, and Jana & Dean have become like family to us.  The girls call them "Mimi and Papaw" (because that's what their grandkids call them) and they always run to give them hugs when we see them.  They leave the girls gifts at Easter, Birthdays, or just because.  I feel so at home in this neighborhood.

The girls with Jana, and her grand daughters, Jaylan & Myla

There are so many things to love about Bryan, and we were lucky to be able to live in a great place.  We leave with many great memories!

2 comments:

Meli said...

I miss you girl!!

amespj said...

I'm sure you shed a tear or two as you read and posted this post. I have an addition to what's great about HEB - it's where Santa does his grocery shopping (we saw him there, not in his red suit, but we recognized him anyway). And I noticed that shopping at Post Oak Mall didn't make your list...some things have to be better in your new life.