I had no idea all the different emotions I would feel as our house was packed up and put in boxes in preparation for our move to Maryland. I felt excitement and anticipation at the same time that I was feeling very sad.
Months ahead of the move we were aware that the FDA (Mike's new employer) was going to contribute to some of our moving expenses, but we weren't certain how much until just a couple weeks beforehand. We were so grateful when we found out that they were going to cover the entire move. It was such a relief to not have to pack everything up on our own, and to not worry about that expense during such a transitory time in our lives.
On Thursday, May 24, a moving van pulled up in front of our house. I was surprised to see that they sent such a massive one, and I was even more surprised when our stuff managed to fill it 3/4 full!
The movers laid rugs down and spread boxes out around the house. They worked so quickly and efficiently, and I somehow felt like I was in the way in my own house
It took two days to pack everything up. The first day was putting things in boxes, and the second day was spent loading up a few last minute things (including beds, which we had slept in the night before), and then loading everything into the truck.
I worried about Elaina coming home from school, and Erin coming home from a friend's house to find the house looking like this when it had looked so normal when they left that morning. It was sort of an emotional day for all of us, but they handled it really well, and we knew we'd be busy with friends for our last few days there.
It left the house with such an empty feel to see everything packed up in boxes
In the end, all we had left was a pile of things in a corner of our bedroom, labeled "Please don't move." Everything else was boxed up and put in the truck.
We spent four night sleeping on air mattresses in our house in Texas in order to coordinate our arrival time in Maryland with our unpacking date. Friends were helpful in having us over for meals, letting us store food in their fridge, loaning us blankets, and letting us hang out so we wouldn't be bored. It was nice to have the last few days in Texas stress free so we were able to be together and hang out with our friends. The house did feel a bit lonely though because everything that had made it our own was gone. That part was a bit sad.
On the final packing day, here's our truck, all loaded and on it's way.....
to our house in Maryland!!!
The girls were excited about their new, big backyard! We found out later that our next door neighbor's daughter (who is 5, just like Erin) spotted that pink picnic table with it's pink princess umbrella and correctly assumed that there were little girls living here. She and Erin have been best buds ever since!
1 comment:
I loved seeing your journey!! So wonderful and bittersweet at the same time. Love your new place! You have to put a picture up of your office.=) That sounds like heaven!
Post a Comment