I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Monday, March 25, 2013

(October): Lancaster, Pennsylvania

My Mom and I wanted to visit Amish country near Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  It is about 2 hours from our house, so we left one morning right after the girls left for school and arranged for them to go to a friend's house after school for about an hour so we could have the full day there.  It was such a fun day. 
It is so picturesque, and as you can tell I've included a million pictures.  Something about the quiet, simple life that the Amish lead in this area adds to the beauty of the landscape.  The hills were dotted with small Amish farms. 

We didn't really have any particular itinerary, we just wanted to enjoy whatever landscape and culture we happened upon.  We found a driving tour of 5 covered bridges in the area, and based our drive roughly upon that.  We saw all of this beautiful landscape just driving from one covered bridge to the next. 


I love all these produce and flower stands along the road

All the Amish settlements looked something similar to this

This looked like a community center or something, but it was just pretty

clothes hanging on the clothesline



Doesn't this look like a picture in a calendar or magazine or something?

Love this!

Another Amish home with the horse and buggy out front

We'd see lots of Amish men and women on their bicycles going about their daily routines

Loved coming across these two men chatting on the roadside




There really is beauty in the simple life



I love this picture of these 2 men coming down the road towards us

You probably can't read the sign, but it says, "hitching post for horses and buggies only"

We saw lots of these roadsigns, and lots of the buggies

Someone's buggy at a farmer's market



I just love that this is how life is there.  Riding your bike to pick up some produce, and bringing it home in the wagon hitched to your bike.  It makes me want to ride my bike over to the local farmers market and bring it home in a wagon.  Somehow, it doesn't seem as picturesque when I do it :)


Isaac was great! He napped and read his books and got out to stretch his legs once in a while.  I'm grateful he's an easy kid who endures all of my crazy little excursions so well! :)

2 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

This doesn't seem as quaint to me, it just seems like a life I once lived. Though theirs is prettier I have to say, because our stuff wasn't as nice as theirs. I don't think I will ever go there just because it is too much like my childhood.

amespj said...

I love to relive these memories. It really was a great day in a beautiful place - but the best part was the time together.