Mike had Columbus day off work, but the girls still had school, so we were excited to go into the city sans kids! Ok, well we still had Isaac but he's pretty easy in his stroller. Mike hadn't been to the Air and Space museum, so we started there.
When we went to NASA in Houston last April, Mike was so excited about touching a moon rock. I think there are only 7 in the world that you can touch, so we thought it was pretty cool. Well, the Air & Space museum has one too, so the girls and I rubbed it in Mike's face that WE had touched TWO moonrocks, and he'd only touched one. So, I had to take him here so he could catch up to us. Now, we need to find those other five moonrocks! :)
The Wright Brothers' plane, the Wright Flye
The Spirit of St. Louis - the plane flown by Charles Limbergh in the first non-stop flight over the Atlantic
After the museum, we went for lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl, which is in the
historic U-Street neighborhood. This area was kind of a trendy African
American neighborhood before and during the Civil Rights movement, and
also the location of the DC riots in the 60s. Ben's Chili Bowl is apparently the first restaurant Barack Obama ate at after he moved to DC as President
I love architecture and am fascinated by how different neighborhoods are characterized by different architectural styles. I loved walking around and looking at the buildings here around U Street.
As we were walking we saw some historical markers talking about Duke Ellington, who was raised in this neighborhood and I believe lived here during his early years as a musician. Duke Ellington is one of Mike's favorite Jazz musicians. We we able to find a couple of his homes (the one above and below)
2 comments:
That is really fun to go in the city without the older kids.
When you go to Moscow (someday) you can both touch another moon rock there - it was given as a gift by USA.
Post a Comment