I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

(April): Ford's Theater & Peterson House

One place I've been wanting to see since we moved here is Ford's Theater.  This is where Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth.  I've been learning more about Lincoln since living here and still want to learn so much more about this fascinating person. 

Ford's Theater is still a working theater, but they do tours throughout the day.  Stacie and I enjoyed the museum, and the theater itself.  We got to see a play about the events that occurred that day, leading up to the assassination.


This is the box where Lincoln and his wife were seated when he was shot.  It is now a memorial to him, and isn't in use anymore
Across the street is the Peterson House, where Lincoln died from his gunshot wounds the next morning

This is the room and bed where Lincoln was when he died



In the museum at the Peterson house, they have this display of all the books about Lincoln that are currently in print.  All 15,000 of them.  What a legacy!

The plaque beside this tower of books reads, "the last word about our 16th President will never be written, if only because each generation creates its own Lincoln."

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

That is really cool. We will have to visit there someday.

amespj said...

I love the memorial

Heather said...

wow that book tower about made me cry. Amazing!! What a great area you live in!