The home that Robert E Lee lived in prior to the start of the Civil War overlooks Arlington Cemetery
I can't figure out how to rotate this. Grrr. Anyway, just a cool picture
Something else I haven't done yet was watch the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This was really neat to watch
Changing of the Guard
Changing of the Guard
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
The day we went to Arlington Cemetery, I happened to notice earlier in the day on facebook that this was the one year anniversary of the death of my sister in law's good friend Andrew, who was killed in Afghanistan. I happened to see a post on facebook earlier in the day and so we decided to go find his grave. Even though I've never met him it made the visit a bit more personal, and to think that each of the grave stones represent individuals who each left behind friends and family in fighting for their country.
After leaving Arlington Cemetery we were driving home and noticed the Iwo Jima memorial off the freeway. I knew it was in DC but didn't know where it was, so we pulled over to go see it. What a powerful memorial!
the sun was setting when we were there, which made it even more beautiful
2 comments:
That definitely does make it much more personal when you actually see a grave of somebody that was a friend or family of another, even if you didn't personally meet him. What cool experiences you are having.
We also went to Iwo Jima. We took the subway though and it took a long time and a long walk for us to find it but we eventually did.
What a nice tribute to post the headstone of somebody personal.
Post a Comment