When Isaac left the hospital he was slightly jaundiced. When he was 4 days old I went in for a follow-up appointment with his pediatrician. He had dropped a pound in weight (which the Dr. considered too much), and his bilirubin level was 20.5, which is considered high risk. So we were sent straight to the hospital to have him admitted for photo therapy treatments. I didn't like seeing my tiny son with a mask stuck to his little face with velcro. It absolutely devastated me to see him like this and not be able to hold him. I was told to nurse him on the dot every 2 hours, and I really cherished this time with him because I felt so distant while he was under the lights. I know many babies go through this, but it was a pretty emotional time for me (as I'm sure it is for any Mom who has to see their baby in the hospital). I was so worried about him getting his weight up, about my milk supply, and mostly about seeing him so lonely under the lights. I also had some complications with my own recovery and was trying to avoid being re admitted to the hospital myself.
Thankfully we only had to stay in the hospital for about 24 hours. Throughout the next 2 weeks I went to the doctor every other day to check Isaac's weight. Unfortunately each appointment found that he wasn't gaining weight and so his bilirubin level kept increasing. Of course this stressed me out again. I eventually was told to pump my milk and offer it to him in a bottle every 2 hours so that we could gauge how much he was actually eating (it turns out he was only eating about an 1 oz each feeding, when he should have been eating 2 oz). I did this for 4 days and hated it. But at this point I was a total wreck, and ready to try something else to get results or I was going to officially go crazy. And thankfully it worked! By the end of the 4 days he would eat the full 2 oz, and when we went back to the doctor she was satisfied with his weight-gain. Also a huge blessing was that he went back to nursing like a champ...well sort of. He's still a sleepy eater, but at least he prefers me over the bottle :) By the end of all this, I counted 11 pricks on his feet from having so much blood drawn. Poor guy :(
But this story has a happy ending...I have a friend who let me use her baby scale and in just this past week he has gained 11 oz!! He is now a 9 lb 3 oz, healthy baby!
I have to mention a memory that sums up how I felt during all of this. In the midst of this drama, Elaina had an already-scheduled well-check appt with our pediatrician. We added Isaac to that appointment for one of his weight-checks. Add Erin to the appointment to have the Dr. look at what I believe is an infected ingrown toenail (yep! We need to have it removed...add 3 more doctor visits, a hospital visit, and even more antibiotics). Oh and add me to the appointment because I was also having some issues with my own recovery (add more antibiotics). I can only imagine what the doctor was thinking when she walked in to find 5 people crammed into this tiny room. Imagine: a frazzled new Mom of 3 (who is living off no sleep and her stress level is through the roof) trying to nurse a 6-day-old baby, while also attempting to tame her other two wild kids, and the Nana along for crowd control and moral support. I was now officially going insane and went home to write up a detailed schedule with a timer of when everyone needs their meds, and not to mention a strict 2 hour nursing schedule for the baby. It's a good thing I wasn't getting any sleep because there just wasn't time for it! Welcome to being a Mom of 3 I guess! :)
Among all this craziness, I've actually thoroughly enjoyed little Isaac this month and am loving this little addition to our family. Here are some pictures of the happy times of his first month...
Love little baby faces! I love to imagine what he might be thinking when he starts making faces (although I know it's really just a reaction to whatever is going on inside his tummy at the time)I am so grateful to have this little boy in our family. It's incredible how someone so small, and who can do so little can make me so happy. I love him a lot:)
8 comments:
Wow I am sorry this past month has been so full of struggles for you! Glad you are still hanging in there! 3 is hard, it does get easier as they get older:) Miss you! He is adorable!
Aren't moms the greatest? It's great that she was able to come help you out for a little while.
I'm sorry to hear Isaac had such a rough beginning. It's hard to watch your child hooked up to all those machines. The first time I saw Andrew (5 hours after I gave birth) I walked into the NICU and he had wires and tubes, and a CPAP mask which covered his whole face, etc. I feel for you. I'm happy you could at least hold him and nurse him every few hours.
He is beautiful Allison! So glad things he is doing better.
he is adorable! and I m happy things are going better for you all, miss you guys!
Happy One Month to Isaac! He's so cute and we can't wait to meet him in a few months!
How blessed I am to be able to have spent this time with all of you. I love my grandchildren with all my heart and loved every minute with the girls and Isaac. But once a mom, always a Mom and no matter how old or capable our own children become, we still hate to see them suffer (even from lack of sleep). It was a good time together and I'm glad I could be there to help.
He's so cute! I'm sorry things have been hard with the Dr and hospital visits! I wish I was out there to help! Your mom sounds like she's awesome!
I love all the pictures!! Such a sweet guy and he totally looks like Mike in his car seat picture. You are such a great mom. Keep moving!!
Post a Comment