I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Erin's Trip to Calgary

I realize I'm so behind, but I want to post some pictures from the last few months. Baby pictures coming soon :)

Erin was able to travel with my parents in February when they came to see all of their kids throughout N. America. Since my Dad started and ended his portion of the trip in Texas, they saw an opportunity to kidnap a granddaughter and enjoy her company for 2 weeks. Elaina has been on a couple trips with my Mom, and so it was Erin's turn for a special vacation with them (plus she wasn't in school so her schedule allows for such a trip). They spent a week in Calgary and then a week in Utah.

She never whined or cried for me, but I know she looked forward to talking to me every day on the webcam. I'm glad she felt comfortable enough with family that she didn't get very homesick, and with so many people to love her, she was too busy to miss me too much!

Of course I missed her a lot too, but I think opportunities like this are great for the kids, and I'm glad she was able to have such a great time with her extended family. I knew she'd come back to me, so I allowed myself to enjoy the 2 weeks of an open schedule to get projects done before the baby comes, to spend some extra quality time with Elaina, and to let myself relax a little in ways that I wouldn't normally do (ie. I took a bubble bath at 8:30 am one morning....just because I could!). I read, I napped, I accomplished things that have been on my to-do list for years, I cleaned, I sorted baby clothes, I had lunch dates with Mike (without kids), and I did lots of playdates for Elaina. It was fantastic!

Reading stories with Nanny M

Before Erin left I thought it would be a fun idea for the girls to create home-made Valentines for Erin to take to family in Canada. The project included 14 Valentines from each child. That's 28 Valentines. A million stickers. Lots of glue, cutting, markers, glitter... I realized by the time it was too late that I was crazy since the girls' attention spans only allowed them time to create 1-2 Valentines at one time. It took forever, but when I see the pictures of Erin handing all of them out, I'm glad we did it. Above is her valentine to my brother, David. Below is her Valentine to Papa.

Valentine's Day also lasted the entire month. Every time I talked to Erin on the phone she wished me a "Happy Valentine's Day!" whether it was Feb 6, Feb 14, or Feb 20. And after she got home she continued to tell me Happy Valentine's Day! I think Valentine's Day lasted until St. Patrick's Day.

Aunts & Uncles are the greatest people ever!

She was really excited to put snow down my Dad's shirt. From what I heard, the camera wasn't available the first time, so she did it again. Then they didn't get a good picture, so they did it again. I'm not sure how many times they did this in order to get a good picture, but I love that my Dad was a good sport about it and put up with getting snow down his shirt over and over again. That's why grandparents are so great! I'm sure Erin thought it was hilarious to play this "tricky" game over and over again.

When I was growing up I used to love to have sleepovers at my Nana's house. At night, before we went to bed, the tradition was that we would blow out the lamp (she did this with all her grandchildren). I did this until I was an adult because it was tradition and because I loved it...I still do! It is an old kerosene lamp that her family had when she was a child. I love that the tradition continues with the great grandchildren!

She learned to play dominoes and loved it!

My Dad taught Erin new tricks.

More stories with Nanny M

Right after Erin arrived she asked if they had any dress ups for her. Luckily they actually did! Phew! Otherwise, I'm not sure what this girl would have worn all week!

Erin with my Grandpa

Erin took a day trip to Banff with my parents, my sister Heather, and her boyfriend, Trevor:



I look at these pictures and wonder if Erin even walked at all that day. She certainly got the royal treatment:




she even convinced them to carry her and feed her caramel apples at the same time! I guess when you're cute you can get whatever you want...from people who aren't your parents. For some reason the charm doesn't have the same effect on me & Mike :)

Erin and the RCMP Moose at the Calgary Airport. Elaina met up with the same RCMP Moose on her special trip with Nana back in 2007

Now she's off to Utah! She certainly knows the drill at the airport. Apparently she arrived at the ticket counter and told the lady at the check in all about the procedure to getting on the plane: putting your suitcase on the scale, waiting in line, taking off your shoes, putting your backpack on the conveyor belt, etc. Little Miss Independent!

No comments: