I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Friday, May 28, 2010

Fire Station

Our preschool group had an awesome field trip to the College Station Fire Department. It worked out so perfectly, and the kids loved it.

We went in and they talked to the kids about fire safety. They also got to watch the fireman get dressed in all his gear. It was pretty cool, but once he put the mask on lots of the kids were scared of him, understandably! I hadn't really realized that kids would find them scary but I guess firemen do look a bit like scary monsters! :)


After this we got to tour the station. When we were almost finished with the tour, the bell went off and they had to run to a fire. It was pretty cool how it happened - the fireman stopped mid-tour and just bolted out to the garage without even taking time to explain or say goodbye to us. They had 2 minutes to get dressed and in the truck from the instant the bell went off. The field trip coordinator stayed with us and allowed us to look out the front window as they pulled away with their sirens on. It was so cool! Apparently it was a chemical fire at the chemistry dept on campus. Since nobody was seriously hurt I don't feel to badly about enjoying the experience it offered us :)

Aren't these kids just the cutest? I love all these kids!

My Grandpa was a volunteer firefighter and so when we got home I had Elaina and Erin call and tell him all about their experience at the fire station. They think it's pretty cool to have a great-grandpa firefighter!

No comments: