I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bull Run/Manassas Battlefield

My Dad was really excited to go see the site of the first major battle in the Civil War - the Battle of Bull Run (or the Battle at Manassas, which was what the Confederates called it).  

Not being a US citizen, I'm not too familiar with the Civil War, but I love history, and since this area is so rich in Civil War history, I hope to read and learn more about it and see many of the sights nearby.  This was a great place to start!

Before getting to our house, he printed activity books for the kids about the history of the battlefield and the things we'd see.  It had information, word searches, coloring pages, recipes, and then it had a scavenger hunt, and questions to find the answer to in the museum.  I was so impressed that he did this - it made the kids interested in what we'd see, and made the day more interesting for them because and had some background knowledge before going!  Here they're looking through their activity books before the outing and learning all there is to know about the Battle of Bull Run

Looking at an old cannon

The scene was so picturesque.  It's hard to imagine that so much bloodshed happened here.  Apparently nobody thought much of this battle and expected it to just be a little skirmish (it turned out to be the bloodiest battle in US history up to that point).  Wealthy families came out from Washington and set up picnics on the next hill over so that they could watch - just a nice little Sunday outing, I guess!  As the battle progressed and it became obvious that it was bigger than anyone expected, they spectators started fleeing back to Washington in their carriages, and even got in the way of the Union retreat.  Can you even imagine!?!

My Dad had a barrage of questions for our tour guide, so while the rest of the tour group was following behind, he ran up and walked with him, trying to find out all there is to know about Bull Run.  This is something I love about my Dad - whether it's a tour guide, a taxi driver, a friend, or a hotel maid, he's always interested in learning something from other.  people.  He asks a lot of questions, and because of that, he knows a lot. 

This house was at the site of the Battlefield.  Mrs Henry, an elderly lady, was bedridden, and was in the house with her family and a servant during the battle.  When they realized they would be in the middle of battle, she and her family tried to leave the house, but were frightened and returned.  While they were gone, Confederate snipers hid inside, and the Union army started firing at them.  They hadn't realized civilians were inside too, and Mrs. Henry was shot many times.  She was the first civilian casualty of the Civil War, and is buried in the garden next to the house

Kids have the best seats on tours!

At the end of the tour, they shared some hardtack with our tour guide (they got the recipe out of their "Battle of Bull Run Activity Book" and made it with my Dad) because that's what the soldiers ate during the war.  He refused at first, until he realized that the kids had made it and were excited to share with him.  I'm glad he tried some - the girls were so excited - but I felt so bad for him as he ate it!  That stuff was nasty!  At least it didn't have weevils in it, like it often did when the soldiers ate it!

1 comment:

amespj said...

What a great day! Allison you take after your dad in the category of exploring all that you can.