I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Monday, April 4, 2011

Pinewood Derby: The "Bugs Buggy" Car

Mike offered to help a Cub Scout in our ward make a car for the Pinewood Derby (and one for his sister in the sibling race), and since he planned to attend to cheer the boy on, he decided to make one that Elaina could race too.


Mike has mentioned recently that he'd like to get into woodworking, but if you know Mike at all you know that he has more hobbies than he has time (or enough money to keep up with all the materials required for each). I tease him that his hobbies are always coming and going. But it's a trait that I love about him - that he's interested in so many things and loves to explore all of his interests. But I have to say I was totally impressed (and surprised) by his talent at woodworking and how much he enjoyed making the cars. I think he did a great job on Elaina's car, which he named "Bugs Buggy." Perhaps woodworking is a hobby we'll have to invest in after all...

Weighing only 2.5 oz (maximum allowed weight is 5 oz), it certainly wasn't the fastest car. Ok, it didn't even make it to the end of the track before slowing to a dead halt. But I think it was a pretty awesome looking car, and Elaina and Erin both had a great time racing it down the track in the sibling race.


Oh, and Elaina did help too - she "supervised" the whole operation. Typical Daddy-daughter project :)

1 comment:

Nana M said...

I am impressed. What an awesome job of the Bugs Buggy.