I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

100th Day of School!

Elaina celebrated the 100th day of school on February 1st. This was a BIG DEAL! You really have no idea (I didn't!)


They started getting ready for the big day right after Christmas vacation. Such preparations included:

-the daily countdown at calendar time (each day I got an update on which day of school it was)
-learning songs for the The Big Parade
-making noisemakers for The Big Parade
-making hats for The Big Parade
-learning in math to count by tens, and categorize by tens, all the way to 100
-preparing food for their "100 item snack mix" which included 10 pieces of 10 different types of food, which, quite incredibly, added up to.....100 items of food! Amazing.
-making fruit loop necklaces for The Big Parade, again consisting of 10 groups of 10, totaling....100 fruit loops!!

She had to bring in 100 items to use for math class the week before the 100th day. Here she is with my Mom counting out 100 pennies, and putting them into groups of 10:

On the big day, I woke Elaina up for school (which usually includes me threatening and dragging her out of bed and trying to dress her floppy body as she tries to lay back down on the couch), and she promptly jumped out of bed and announced that it was the 100th day! Wow! BIG DAY!! It might have well have been Christmas - she was that excited!

We arrived at school that afternoon to watch the 100th Day Parade, and discovered that Elaina just happened to be the line leader that day, so she got to hold her class banner and lead the class through the school hallways. It so happened that Mrs. Nelson's class led the parade, so she was excited that she was the leader of the entire parade! She couldn't even contain her excitement as they were getting ready to march around the school:

All 6 Kindergarten classes marched around the school 3 times, shaking their noise makers, and chanting:
100th Day is here!
100th Day is here!
It is the day we've waited for aaaaaall year!
Let's give 100 a great big cheer!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!



Students in all the other grades as well as parents lined the hallways to cheer them on.

Afterward, they went into the cafeteria, where they ate cupcakes to finish the celebration:

Elaina shared her fruit loop necklace with Erin:


It was just as awesome as Elaina anticipated, and even better than I was expecting!

4 comments:

Heather said...

She is so cute and grown up! Hailey was sick on the 100th day of school and it was so sad. She came back the next day and was crying bc they had done a ton of awesome 100th day of school stuff and she didn't get to do it. She was also sick, so that didn't help, but she survived. I even tried to make it a special 100th day for her. Not as good as Mrs. Pergande, I guess! lol!!

Nana M said...

I have never heard of this celebration but it looks and sounds like a wonderful time for all. I loved the photos of Elaina leading the parade and sharing with her little sister.

Amy Martin said...

That is so fun! She is such a cute girl!

amespj said...

I'm SO glad I could be there for the celebrations!