I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Our Family Photos: A Photo Blog

While taking family pictures, and now thinking about the chaotic events of that day, I can't help but chuckle a bit when I think of this quote from Elder Ballard's talk in General Conference two years ago:

"First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

So allow me to leave a detailed account of the actual events of the day....in case I ever look at the serene photographs of my family on the wall and somehow forget that the day did not go down flawlessly.

This is how the morning started - everyone looked great....except me; I couldn't open my eyes...

I suppose I thought that if I had only one eye open it might be ok?....
Then....Elaina was stung by a wasp. She actually asked my Mom to please take a picture of it...
Understandably, it was pretty traumatic for her. She was pretty distraught after she was stung. Luckily we had some topical Benadryl and Hydrocortosone cream on hand.

This is what you call family support! Except I love that Mike looks ready to get this day over with, and Erin is more interested in the ants crawling on the back of the bench...

Now Elaina has Erin's undivided attention. She is willing to share her sorrowing experience with anyone that shows interest throughout the day. Everyone but Erin knows better than to remind her about it. For this reason, Erin was her best audience that day and Elaina turned up the drama for added effect. By the way, I love the expressions on both of their faces (it's worth zooming in to see it better). Um, can we say over dramatic?....

Oh, I love these girls. I felt so sorry for Elaina, even with the fake tears that lasted long after the real pain had subsided. Erin is such a sweetheart and loves her big sister, fake tears and all...

After consoling Elaina, she was feeling better, so we resumed the picture taking. She pouted most of the time...
As badly as I felt for her, this is a genuine fake-pout...
Occasionally she would cry out in pain. At this point, I'm not sure if it was real, or if she was trying to generate some sympathy...
In the end, I think this picture sums up the day:
Daddy: is annoyed, fed up, and bothered
Mommy: is just trying to keep the peace and keep everyone happy an smiling throughout the whole ordeal (inside, she is silently trying to hold it all together)
Elaina: feels sorry for herself
Erin: just wants to play

8 comments:

Brian Ames said...

I will certainly remember the details of that day. You kindly omit that after the first set of photos I foolishly returned the snacks and drinks in the car, leaving you without vital incentives and remedies. I guess I thought the photo-shoot was almost over, but was I ever wrong! We still had hundreds of photos, bee stings, and tears to go!

aagiles said...

Allison, you guys are soo cute. I miss the girls so much. Steve is excited to see them in August!! I wish I could come but I have to work. Ash

Kristi said...

No family photo shoot is without drama:) We just pick the best one to blow up! We have one of all the grandkids on my side, when Taryn was 3. She did okay for the big fam shot but when it came down to just the grandkids she fell apart. Someone gave her a sucker. She still wouldn't smile. In the final (best) shot it was every other kid smiling, Taryn holding a sucker and has her head down just bawling:) My parents have it blown up on their fam room wall:)!

Anonymous said...

kay, I know I shouldn't laugh but we have twin girls! I am sorry about the wasp bite though and giggling at the same time over Mike's face in that last picture. That picture should be your main picture! True life.=) You look so cute too.

amespj said...

You are brave to tell the real story behind the photos that will get displayed on the living room wall...the ones of real life. That's why I love candids! But these posed family shots mark the passage of time in every family.

robyncreates said...

I think this sums up about all of our photo shoots. :)

Jami said...

LOL! You got some good ones.

MB said...

HA! Crazy! Cracks me up!