I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

(December): National Christmas Tree

As you know, I LOVE Christmas and I was so excited this year for all the new local Christmas decorations to see and activities to do.  The girls and I went one night to DC where the National Christmas tree was on display in the Ellipse (the open space between the White House and Washington Monument.  

National Christmas Tree

The tree had a big train display surrounding the entire base of the tree

There were smaller trees surrounding the larger one, one for each of the 50 states and territories.  We found Texas, Maryland, Nevada, and Utah (where the girls were each born).  I can't remember which of these is which





We also visited Santa Claus in his workshop - his Washington DC satellite office!

Do you see that list on the right side of the picture?  It's a print out of children's names and a check mark beside "naughty" and "nice."  We found Isaac's name and it said "nice" and then Erin insisted that she saw Elaina's name with a "naughty" check mark beside it.  Elaina almost burst into tears!  Luckily the print was small and we were far away.  When we tried to get a better look we discovered that the name was Evan, not Elaina!  We sure were nervous for a second though!

The workshop was pretty cute and surprisingly there was no line to get in to see Santa!

Erin had one important question for Santa - did he send Clif (our Elf on the Shelf) to come stay with us during December to see if we're naughty or nice?  Santa glanced over at me and admitted that yes, he had sent Clif and told us he's a silly little elf.  I'm so glad that Santa remembered!

Elaina talking to Santa


DC was so pretty with all the Christmas lights and decorations up.  Of course my camera doesn't capture how pretty it is.  This is the Willard Hotel, where the girls and I grabbed a hot chocolate after seeing the lights and National Tree downtown

The girls were excited to find these nutcrackers!

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

That is SO fun. We might just have to do that this year. We have a lot to make up for with Christmas. We have kind of been bad with kind of skipping Christmas the last two years. This could make up for it I think.
That would have been scary to have Elaina's name on the naughty list. Good thing it was just a mistake:)
I saw a guy in a truck today that his bumper sticker said, "My other vehicle is a sleigh" Sure enough he looked like Santa with the beard and glasses.
What a fun thing to do.