I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cold. Cold. Cold.

We went to Calgary in January for my sister's wedding.  I was so excited for the girls to play in the snow and experience a true Canadian winter.  I had big plans of going sledding, skating & building snowmen.  Unfortunately we were there for the coldest week of the entire winter and almost the entire week was -30C.  Too cold.  The weatherman announced one day that exposed flesh would freeze in 5 minutes.  As it turns out, I've become a major wimp.  Just going out to the car was unbearable!  

The first day we were there was cold, but the really cold front hadn't come through yet. As we headed off to church that morning Erin was on the verge of tears and announced: "I don't ever want to go outside in Canada ever again!"  I felt her pain.  Too bad for both of us, that was before it got unbearably cold.

Sunday afternoon I bundled them up and sent them outside to play in the snow.  Both girls were miserable as they discovered that it took 10 minutes to get dressed in 2 pairs of socks, tights under your pants, snow pants, a t-shirt under your sweatshirt, a big poofy jacket, 2 hats, gloves under your waterproof mittens, and a scarf.  By this time they were hot, sweaty, and couldn't move.  They were thrilled (not).  I sent them outside (even though Erin swore she'd never go outside in Canada ever again), while I, on the other hand, enjoyed watching them play from the warm, cozy indoors!  Someone had to prepare the hot chocolate, right?

Once they got outside they actually had a great time.  It was fun to watch them discover and enjoy the snow.







They actually had a great time and thank goodness for Aunt Heather who wasn't too wimpy to go outside to play!
These were taken a few days later when it really had become unbearably cold.  Isaac was all bundled up to make the distance from the house to the preheated car.

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

Holy Cow that is definitely too cold. I am cold anyways here at 60 degrees. I would definitely be the one preparing the hot chocolate.