I LOVE the Calgary Stampede. It is this HUGE city-wide event that lasts 10 days, and the entire city gets into cowboy character. The main event is downtown, where there is a rodeo, chuckwagon races, and fairgrounds. It's huge - the largest outdoor rodeo in the world. The biggest names in Country music are sure to perform at the Stampede each year.
But my favorite part about the Stampede is how festive the whole city is. Everyone - including the business people downtown - get dressed up in their cowboy gear all week long. If you work downtown and normally wear a suit to work, you'd be totally out of place Stampede week if you didn't wear jeans and a cowboy shirt, maybe even boots and a cowboy hat. And it doesn't matter if you're a cowboy or not. Everyone gets decked out. All over the city are free Stampede breakfasts - we attended 5 that week!!! - and all sorts of Stampede activities. I worked as an usher at the rodeo when I was 15 for a short summer job, but I haven't been back to Calgary during Stampede week since then. It worked out great that my entire family was in Calgary the week of the Stampede this year. We all went down to the grounds for one of the days:
My wonderful family
My sister, Jen and her husband Jared, and Erin: Riding the C-Train (light rail transit) to go downtown.
Greeting some Stampede guy
Visiting the animals
Can you tell that my Dad is making "moo-ing" noises to get the cow's attention? The things you find yourself doing for kids!
Me and Mike by the Elbow River, which runs through the fairgrounds
Jared helping Erin get a drink. He had to sit there for a while, waiting for her to finish :)
Watching Elaina on the rides
Biker Chic
I love this picture of my Mom and Erin
We couldn't pull Erin away from these rubber ducks! She could have stayed there for hours!!
Elaina loved all the rides!
Merry Go Round with Nana
This is how Elaina traveled most of the day!! Life is so easy when you're a kid
Eating popsicles with Uncle Dave
Mike loved his bratwurst for lunch that day
This was the best treat of the day - it was called Potato On a Stick. It was just a long, fried potato twirl -- on a stick. Very cool. Of course you douse it with vinegar and salt. Incase you aren't aware, the only way to eat french fries (according to any true Canadian) is to sprinkle it with vinegar. Restaurants will always bring you a bottle of vinegar if your order french fries with your meal, and all the fast food chains have vinegar packets available next to the ketchup packets. Mmmm, yummy!!
Checking out a bazooka and other military weapons
They were so excited to see all the animals!
The girls with my parents
I think perhaps having grandkids is a good excuse to buy some cotton candy!
Enjoying the chuck wagon races and grandstand show that evening
At the beginning of the chuckwagon races, of course they sang the national anthem, during which a helicopter flew in front of the crowds with a Canadian flag. It was such a privilege to be able to stand and sing my own anthem, especially since I don't get to do it very often. Of course I got goosebumps and a little teary-eyed because I don't get to sing "O Canada" very often.
I'm also excited because I'm in the process of getting Canadian citizenship for Elaina and Erin so they will be Canadian citizens too. Here is one of my proud little Canadians!
4 comments:
That looks like so much fun! I am glad you guys got to do that. I wish that we were there. Right now, we are going crazying house hunting. . . hopefully it will be worth it. :o)
I have not checked out your Blog in such a long time. You do a great job...and of course you have the bets subjects to work with - your family! Such wonderful photos. I love you all!!!
Mom
You should be proud of being a Canadian - it's a lovely country! Glad you could celebrate in Calgary :)
p.s. that potato on a stick looks delicious. Do you ever make them at home?
That potato on a stick reminds me of your ketchup potato chips and salt n vinegar potato chips that we got you for Canada day! :)
Post a Comment