We added three new members to our family today: Pemberley, Cranston, and Buppy. Mike and the girls have been pestering me for a long time about getting a puppy or kitty (and as of last night, Mike is now begging for a hampster!) but I haven't caved and don't plan to for a long time. I'm not much of a pet person. But I couldn't resist Elaina's face this morning when she asked for a pet purple fish! So she and Mike went to the pet store and came back with 3 guppies.
Elaina came up with the names Pemberley and Cranston on her own. Mike named Buppy after the pet fish he and I had when we were newlyweds.
Unfortunately the "purple fish" that Elaina so desperately wanted turned out to be grey and white (thanks to Mike's colorblindness).
And even more unfortuate...this story has a sad ending. I walked in to the kitchen about 3 hours after putting the fish in their new home to find that Pemberley (the grey/white -supposed to be purple - fish) had died. She had a weak fin from the beginning, like Nemo, but we still had high hopes for her. If Nemo could make it, surely Pemberley would! I told Mike that he had to break the news to Elaina but then quickly changed my mind since I tend to be the more sensitive one in the relationship. I haven't had to explain death to her yet, and thank goodness she doesn't totally understand because she just said "it's ok, we'll get a new Pemberley." This time, we'll make sure it's really a purple one :)
9 comments:
How fun! That is my kind of pet. We had a cat before we moved here. But it disappeared into the wild 1 week before the move. We def won't be getting another work intensive pet anytime soon. Kids are enough for me thank you very much! Elaina sure looks happy with her fish though. How cute!
How fun!! I've been tempted to buy fish a few times. Joseph will love seeing them.
That is a GREAT compromise. They will get the fun of taking care of a living thing without all the shedding :) Keep these stories and pix coming, I love them!
ina
Wow, one of us finally has a pet! We look forward to seeing them.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy if you guys want a hamster, we have al the accesories , cage, bedding,etc....if you want it...hahaha
good luck with the fish!!!
Fun for the girls! Fish are fun, til they die:( They are my kind of pet though!!! My kids are always bugging me for a pet, but a fish is the best I'll do, we don't have any at the moment. Good thing they are easily replaceable:)!!!
How fun!! Fish are great for kids. I think we are going to get two betas when the baby is born. Then they can be in separate bowls and fight with each other just like my kids already do.=)
Very cute! Your girls look a lot like you. I love it!
This was cute. How neat for Elaina to have a pet(s) regardless of colour.
Post a Comment