I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Something Kind of Cool About Me & My Family...

Here's something interesting about my family that you probably don't know..... Up in northwestern Ontario (Canada) we have a small town named after our family. The town is called Amesdale and it was named after my great-Grandfather, Samuel George Ames (for those of you who don't know, my maiden name is Ames). He and his wife settled there with their 10 children in the 1920s when it was a small community along the railway. When they wanted to start up a post office, they needed a name for the town, so that's when they came up with the name Amesdale - because my ancestors were a large group of the community. My Grandpa (who I never knew) owned the town's general store and he and my Grandma ran the store and lived upstairs.



My Dad was born during the time that they lived there. A few years later (late 50s I believe?) the store caught fire and my Dad's family sought work elsewhere, moving away from Amesdale. After this time other people gradually started leaving Amesdale - I assume because the need for railway towns during the 50s & 60s wasn't as important as it was earlier and the fire in the store probably hurt the town as well. I might be wrong about that, maybe my Dad can clarify?

There's even a cemetery there, where lots of my family are buried. My Dad's brother & sister (who both died days after their birth) are buried here as well as my Grandparents, Great-Grandparents and many other relatives. My parents plan to be buried there someday as well.

I've been to Amesdale twice - once when I was about 10 for a family camping trip, and the second time when I was in Ontario for my Grandma's funeral - both were incredible experiences to visit and see where my family came from because Amesdale was important part of so many people's lives. This is a picture of my family when we were there after Grandma's funeral in 2001:

My Dad started a blog dedicated to Amesdale where he is gathering information and stories about the history of the town from friends & relatives that lived there. The link is: http://amesdale.blogspot.com/. I'm proud of him for working so hard on this to keep that history preserved.

Anyways, that's just a little bit about my personal family history, whether you wanted it or not :)

8 comments:

Amy Martin said...

That's really neat Allison, thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

That's so cute! How creative.=) But really, who can have that claim to fame?!

amespj said...

Wow Allison - that's neat for you to share that with friends this way. We're really pleased with your pride in your heritage. Family history is about so much more than pedigree charts and family group sheets.
And this is good publicity for the Amesdale Historical Society website. Who knows...you may attract another long-lost citizen of Amesdale - and there is always great excitement when we find another one.

Brian Ames said...

Well, I didn't cry, but almost. I'm pleased that you value your heritage enough to identify with Amesdale, grandparents, and great grandparents you didn't know. You also know the history well. Sometimes I feel a bit silly spending as much time on this as I do, but your interest makes it all worth while.

Meli said...

wooow that is sooo cool Allison!

Quinn said...

Hey Allison! Cool story about your family. It is fun to find your blog and see what you are up to. We blog at clarissap.blogspot.com

Steph Thomas said...

That is really awesome that you have that. As we were driving up to Brenham last week, we went through a small town and I saw a General store and immediately thought of you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

robyncreates said...

Don't you love learning little stories about your ancestors and where you came from? My mom started collecting info and putting it into a notebook for all of us to have to and be able to share with our kids. I love it and want to learn so much more. How neat to be able to go visit the town where your family came from and imagine and think of all that happened there!