I'm finally getting caught up on our blog! I've been doing a lot of posting lately, so scroll through the older posts (at the bottom of the page) to see other recent posts. One of these days I will actually be caught up! :)

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Christmas Traditions

I love love LOVE Christmas. I don't think I can say enough how much I love Christmas, and all that comes with it. Each year is fun for a different reason because as children enter our family and become one year older with each Christmas, it adds something different and special to that year. I love when they are babies and remembering that it is their first Christmas with us. I love the toddler years when they fully enjoy all the energy and excitement surrounding the whole season. I love as they get older and their anticipation of being with family and web-camming with family that isn't with us, the traditions, and all the excitement. I love being able to spend the month teaching them about Jesus Christ and all the symbols of Christmas that remind us of Him.

This year was special for me because I got to be the hostess. I love hosting events! I spent so much time planning menus, treats, decorations, traditions, and activities. Somehow I enjoy all the work that goes into having people over, and so it was so wonderful to have a house full of family. My parents came from Saudi Arabia and my sister, Jen, and her husband, Jared, came from Utah. Here are some of our Christmas traditions that we enjoyed this year.

Christmas Tradition #1: Baking!
Probably one of my favorite traditions :) I actually wish I had more people to feed so that I could have had more variety in my Christmas baking. We ate too much :) but it was yummy and fun to prepare. I started baking before everyone arrived, and as you can see, I even put the guests and kids to work!
Christmas Tradition #2: Advent Calendar
I wish I had a picture, but for some reason we didn't get one this year. I have a beautiful advent calendar that my parents got me last year for Christmas. Each day you add a person or animal to the nativity scene. The kids wake up each morning knowing whose turn it is to open the door and add that day's calendar piece to the nativity, but they both do it together and look forward to it every morning in December.

Christmas Tradition #3: Gingerbread House
One of these years I'm going to get courageous and make my own gingerbread for the house. This year we purchased one. It's still just as fun to decorate! And yes, I let the kids eat the candy after Christmas - when it was several days old (and yes, you can think I'm a horrible Mom for doing so!)



Tradition #4: Making Almond Rocha (yes more food!)
My Grandma (Dad's Mom) made it each year. My Dad learned from her, and has been teaching me how to perfect it each year. I have a long way to go before I can make a perfect batch on my own, but with my Dad's expertise (learned from his Mom), we can make some great almond rocha!

**In case you're wondering, there are a few technical secrets to this recipe (my Dad gives a great science lesson when explaining the process!): Once the mixture starts boiling, you have you let the water evaporate. Once it evaporates, it will start to smoke. How do you know if there's still water in there? You hold your glasses over the pot. If your glasses steam up, there's still water. If you don't have glasses, well you're out of luck. You "just know" when it's time. At this point, add vanilla and keep stirring for a bit. How long? "You just know." There's a window of only 2-3 seconds and if you take the pot off the heat too early, it will be too soft (I can get into the scientific process of dissolving the sugar crystals, but I'll spare you). If you leave it on too long, well, you burn it. "You'll just know." Hence....it will take me a while to get this recipe down! :)
**


Christmas Tradition #4: Tracking Santa online on Christmas Eve
Every few minutes the Norad Tracks Santa website lets you know where Santa is and where he's been. I seriously think the girls went over to the computer every 5 minutes throughout Christmas Eve Day to check how close Santa was to our house. Christmas Eve became one big geography lesson as the kids also wanted to know more about other places in the world that Santa was visiting.


Christmas Tradition #5: Decorating Sugar Cookies on Christmas Eve
...for Santa, of course!


Christmas Tradition #6: Christmas Eve Gift
When I was younger, there was always a present from my Nana under the tree to open on Christmas Eve - pajamas! The girls were excited for their special Christmas Eve gift from her this year.


Christmas Tradition #7: Reading "Davey and the First Christmas"
This is one that we are carrying down from my childhood. My Mom got a book for Christmas when she was 3 years old about "Davey," the innkeepers son, who was told to clean the stable. She read it to us each us each year, and a few years ago each of my sisters and my brother and I receieved a copy of the book, so that we can continue to read it to our own families. This year we got to have my Mom do the reading :)

Christmas Tradition #8: Reading in (and acting out) Luke 2 & Singing Christmas songs


Christmas Tradition #9: Setting out treats for Santa & his reindeer
cookies, goodies & milk for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer, as well as a note....and discovering his reply to the note and crumbs in the morning. And by the way, read about our little experience we had with Santa in the grocery store a few days before Christmas. It was one of the most magical Christmas moments! I'll remember it for the rest of my life. It was so special.
(putting together Santa's plate of goodies)

(finding his note and half-eaten carrots, and cookies, and the empty glass of milk in the morning. This means that Santa really did come!!!!)

Christmas Tradition #10: Christmas Meals
Oh look, we're back to food again! We had turkey with all the sides for Christmas Dinner. I also made quiche for Christmas Eve breakfast, monkey bread for Christmas Day breakfast, and lots of appetizers and snacks for dinner on Christmas Eve. And I have to add that I love the way my kitchen smells after cooking all that yummy food. Tradition is always that the men get to carve the turkey. Here they are, hard at work!


(New!) Tradition #11: A beautiful Christmas table.
I'm excited about this one because my parents gave me an absolutely beautiful Syrian Lace tablecloth and matching napkins. I just need more fancy occasions so that I can use it more often. It's not an every day table cloth, but I will use it for special occasions the rest of my life. It is gorgeous. I also got brand new dishes and serving dishes, which I love and now my every day table looks great too! The table looked beautiful (aside from the mis-matched chairs):

Tradition #12: Opening Presents, Playing games, and being together Christmas Day:

I love this picture of Mike and the girls looking up the chimney to see if Santa is coming down yet!

Elaina cuddling with her Daddy

Elaina playing with her new toys with Uncle Jared


Erin, trying on her stocking! She's such a goofball!

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

I LOVED reading about all your Christmas traditions!! We should bake more together next year. I think it would be so fun. I love doing the baking too and it would be fun to do it together. Granted this year you had guests and I was gone so it wouldn't have worked but I am always up for having a great time baking. Just give me a call sometime if you want to get together. I thought it was hilarious..."You just know." Yeah, it will take you SEVERAL years to get that recipe JUST right! Way to keep doing it every year though. I would probably just give up. Thanks for sharing all your traditions. I need to put together a list of things that I want to do next year because we don't plan on going anywhere so we will get to be in our own home for Christmas.

Amy Martin said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing all your traditions! I never get tired of hearing about other people's traditions! I'm so glad you love Christmas as much as I do! :)

Brian Ames said...

The traditions live on! What a great time! Clearly, you have the Almond Rocha recipe figured out...just close your eyes and know, "The force is with you"
Love, Obi-Wan